Monday, April 28, 2008

The baby is "smaller than normal"

Well, this came as a surprise, since we tend to have hefty babies in my family. But the ultrasound Friday showed that the baby is smaller than average(estimated to be about 5 lbs, 2 oz . . . in the 18th percentile). Everything was normal (movement, fluid levels, bloodflow, placenta) but the baby is just a little peanut.

We have to go for follow up ultrasounds for the next two Fridays, and this Friday will include a nonstress test (when they watch the baby's movement and heartrate for a while) and some other test that I've forgotten already.

Also, I'm going to have to cut back on work, for two reasons. The more active I am, the more calories I'm using and at this point I need to keep all of them to fatten up the baby. Also, if I'm on my feet less than it's less likely that I'll go into labor early, and we want the baby to stay on the inside for a bit longer.

So this is a little stressful bump in the road. I'm trying not to worry too much, and to eat a lot of ice cream :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

time to fatten up!!! like i said before, 2 days before i had collin they estimated him to be 6 pounds and he was 8 pounds at birth, 2 weeks early!! Waterset will be just fine!! :)

Anonymous said...

as long as everyone is healthy size doesn't matter.it's a great excuse for milkshakes and brownies and red velvet cupcakes :c) it's the only time you can put your feet up, eat and be lazy and not get in trouble for it!! looks like i'll still hold the record for big, fat babies in our family!